July 1st 2011.
Why does time fly?
___________
I was reading this book titled A Million Little Pieces the other day. Its that controversial "memoir" of James Frey. I don't care if he concocted a few stuff for his story. I don't care that they called him a fraud and asked him to change the name of his book to A Million Little Lies.And I also don't care that Oprah made a big deal out of it.
I liked it.
Addictioncan will kill. Meth, crack, alcohol or even sex and cigarettes. Anything. And that's the sickest way to die.
It takes guts to join a rehab. Yes, you are a fool to let it get this far. You knew that you would be its slave someday. But when you start to think that you could possibly fight the craving, that's when your body starts telling you otherwise.
A Million LittlePieces is beautiful in a way. In its own depressing,disturbing way.
It screams a bloodcurdling scream to all the addicts, showing them what their lives will turn into pretty soon. It begs the ones who are curious, to stay away. Retching the little food you manage to push in every couple of days and blood and chunks of your stomach along with it isn't cool.
This book has a message. You are as strong as you tell yourself you are.
So what if Frey has fabricated a few experiences. I know its not ethical to do that in a memoir. But does that really matter. If this work can help even one inveterate addict through rehab, then not one pointed finger is worth giving two flying fucks for. The pith of the entire story, the brightest beam of hope is the last fucking line of the book.
"James has never relapsed".
______________
A few quotes from the book :
- I turn and I look back across the lake. The mist is gone and the ice diminished, the drip of the icicles quick and heavy. The sun is up and the sky is blue empty blue light blue clear blue. I would drink the sky if I could drink it, drink it and celebrate it and let it fill me and become me. I am getting better. Empty and clear and light and blue. I am getting better.
-Be patient and wait. Your mud will settle. Your water will be clear.
-Even a second of freedom is worth more than a lifetime of bondage.
Why does time fly?
___________
I was reading this book titled A Million Little Pieces the other day. Its that controversial "memoir" of James Frey. I don't care if he concocted a few stuff for his story. I don't care that they called him a fraud and asked him to change the name of his book to A Million Little Lies.And I also don't care that Oprah made a big deal out of it.
I liked it.
Addiction
It takes guts to join a rehab. Yes, you are a fool to let it get this far. You knew that you would be its slave someday. But when you start to think that you could possibly fight the craving, that's when your body starts telling you otherwise.
A Million LittlePieces is beautiful in a way. In its own depressing,disturbing way.
It screams a bloodcurdling scream to all the addicts, showing them what their lives will turn into pretty soon. It begs the ones who are curious, to stay away. Retching the little food you manage to push in every couple of days and blood and chunks of your stomach along with it isn't cool.
This book has a message. You are as strong as you tell yourself you are.
So what if Frey has fabricated a few experiences. I know its not ethical to do that in a memoir. But does that really matter. If this work can help even one inveterate addict through rehab, then not one pointed finger is worth giving two flying fucks for. The pith of the entire story, the brightest beam of hope is the last fucking line of the book.
"James has never relapsed".
______________
A few quotes from the book :
- I turn and I look back across the lake. The mist is gone and the ice diminished, the drip of the icicles quick and heavy. The sun is up and the sky is blue empty blue light blue clear blue. I would drink the sky if I could drink it, drink it and celebrate it and let it fill me and become me. I am getting better. Empty and clear and light and blue. I am getting better.
-Be patient and wait. Your mud will settle. Your water will be clear.
-Even a second of freedom is worth more than a lifetime of bondage.






5 comments:
Sounds interesting :) Another amazing memoir on addiction is A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown. It was awesome :)
Oh yes, i've heard about this book. i've been meaning to read it. controversy always ups the popularity of anything. haha. i'll make sure to check this out, though. :)
@Jodie-Ann : Haven't read that one. Will try getting my hands on it =)
@Ishashime : I'm with you on the controversy funda. And this book is slightly fake. As in, some details are obviously made up. Take it as a story, its more credible then =D
Hmm.. I haven;t heard of this one. But it sounds interesting.. I'd be sure to check it out the next time I'm in a bookshop.
I have great respect to those people who join rehab, especially those who joins voluntarily. There is nothing wrong with admitting to oneself that you need help.
"Be patient and wait. Your mud will settle. Your water will be clear." --> Love the quote.
@Leah : I agree with you. people need to accept what they really are. and I love that quote too =)
Post a Comment
Say away!